- There will be a Prayer Vigil at Shepherd of the Valley this Thursday, April 3rd, from 11 am to 2 pm, and also on Saturday, April 5th, from 11 am to 2 pm. All are welcome to participate!
- Mark your calendars! Sunday, April 13th we will kick off SOV's Capital Campaign by celebrating with ONE WORSHIP SERVICE at 10 am; a special fellowship time for all ages will follow.
- Pastor John Cross from Kairos will be our guest preacher at worship on April 20th, as we focus on our stewardship of God's gifts.
- Warm up your voices and put on your dancing shoes! It's time for SOV's Variety Show: Sunday, April 27th at 6 pm.
Monday, March 31, 2008
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Dear Friends in Christ,
This coming Sunday we mark the beginning of Holy Week by celebrating the Sunday of the Passion a.k.a. Palm Sunday. Worship begins with a palm procession commemorating Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Quickly the tone of the service changes as we meditate upon Jesus' passion and death (Matthew 26:14-27:66). Though Jesus is obedient even unto death on the cross, he is exalted by God. We gather to remember his offering for the life of the world and to be fed by his life-giving mercy. This holy week will culminate in the celebration of the Three Days of Jesus' death and resurrection.
· You are invited to join us tonight, Wednesday, Mar. 12, at 6 pm for a super soup supper, which will be followed by the service of Holden Evening Prayer from 6:30-7 pm. Food for body and soul!
· Pastor John Cross of Kairos will be here at Shepherd of the Valley Thursday through Saturday this week. He will be holding Team Leader meetings, Focus group assessments, and individual assessments in order to get ready for the Capital Campaign. You should have received a mailing regarding your opportunity to meet with Pastor Cross. Don't forget to write your faith stories and turn them in to the Spiritual Life Team leaders, Corinne Gilbertson and Ann Smith!
· Spring Cleaning alert! This Friday, March 14th from 1 pm on and Saturday, March 15th, from 9 am to 12 pm, there will be a work party here at church to make both the inside and the outside look nice for Easter. BYOGT: Bring your own garden tools if you're planning to work outside.
· BYOB—Bring your own basket! Things will be "hopping" this coming Sunday at 9:45, as the Sunday School holds SOV's annual egg hunt.
NOTE: Lent is a very busy season in any church, and this year there are many extra things going on at Shepherd of the Valley. It is wonderful and exciting to be in the middle of the call process and to be kicking off a capital campaign, but these activities will likely require support from SOV's secretary, Nancy Shetterly. During the next couple of weeks there will be extra worship bulletins to prepare, and there are various project going on around the church during the week (painting, cleaning up the grounds, finishing the upstairs office space, etc.). All these wonderful activities tend to impact on Nancy's halftime work schedule, making it more challenging to get things done in a timely manner. Please be patient with our secretary and respect her work space and her need for quiet time. Thank you!
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Once collected they will be given to Tammy McDonald, Director of Capital Funds campaign, for assembly by the Executive Committee, and put in a booklet to be given to the entire congregation of Shepherd of the Valley with additional copies available as gifts for others.
This booklet is one of many items being developed by the SOV Capital Funds committees in conjunction with our consultant John Cross of KAIROS.
Tammy, John Cross and I are looking forward to our meetings this Thursday, Friday and Saturday with everyone.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Dear Friends in Christ,
In the gospel lesson for this coming Sunday, Jesus reveals his power over death by raising Lazarus from the dead(John 11:1-45). In our Old Testament lesson, the prophet Ezekiel prophesies God breathing new life into dry bones(Ezekiel 37:1-14). To those in exile or living in the shadows of death, these stories proclaim God's promise of resurrection. In baptism we die with Christ that we might also be raised with him to new life.
Prayer of the Day
Almighty God, your Son came into the world to free us all from sin and death. Breathe upon us the power of your Spirit, that we may be raised to new life in Christ and serve you in righteousness all our days, through Jesus Christ our Savior and Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen
· During Lent you are invited to join us on Wednesday evenings (Mar. 5, and Mar. 12) at 6 pm for a super soup supper, which is followed by the service of Holden Evening Prayer from 6:30-7 pm. Food for body and soul! J
NOTE: Lent is a very busy season in any church, and this year there are many extra things going on at Shepherd of the Valley. It is wonderful and exciting to be in the middle of the call process and to be kicking off a capital campaign, but these activities will likely require support from SOV's secretary, Nancy Shetterly. In addition, we have recently had two memorial services and numerous pastoral care situations here at SOV; of course, these take priority over routine matters, and they require attention from the secretary, as well as the pastor. Nancy works 20 hours per week, so additional duties such as these tend to make her schedule very tight. Please be patient with our secretary and respect her work space and her need for quiet time. Thank you!