Dear Friends in Christ,
Last Sunday we celebrated Pentecost and the coming of the Holy Spirit upon the disciples. Pentecost is sometimes referred to as the "birthday of the church." I know that I've certainly seen signs of new life here at Shepherd of the Valley! Did you know that our worship attendance last Sunday (Pentecost/Mother's Day) was a whopping 177! (The average is 129.)
This coming Sunday also promises to be quite exciting as four of SOV's young people affirm their baptisms in the rite of confirmation and the Sunday school honors its teachers and celebrates the end of its program year with a "Mt. St. Helens style blowout."
This Sunday is Trinity Sunday, a day when the church reflects on the mystery of the triune God: one God in three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Although the word "trinity" is not found in the scriptures, the idea is certainly present. In our gospel lesson for Trinity Sunday (Matthew 28:16-20), Jesus sends his disciples forth to baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. The doctrine of the Trinity expresses the heart of our faith: We have experienced the God of creation made known in Jesus Christ, who is with us always through the Holy Spirit. We celebrate the mystery of the Holy Trinity in word and sacrament, as we profess the creed, and as we are sent into the world to bear witness to our faith.
Prayer of the Day
God of heaven and earth, before the foundation of the universe and the beginning of time you are the triune God: Author of creation, eternal Word of salvation, life-giving Spirit of wisdom. Guide us to all truth by your Spirit, that we may proclaim all that Christ has revealed and rejoice in the glory he shares with us. Glory and praise to you, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, now and forever. Amen
Please read on for announcements and prayer requests!
· This coming Sunday, May 18, we celebrate Trinity Sunday and all the ways our God relates to us. The 11 o'clock service will include the rite of confirmation for four of our students. Please celebrate with us as Nidhi George, Joseph Gilbertson, Sara Hurd, and Aaron Sugiyama affirm their baptisms and enter into adult membership in the church. Sunday School will be honoring its dedicated teachers and celebrating the end of its program year with a "Mt. St. Helens-style blowout!"
· Put on your hard hat and get ready to build up the church! We're having a block party here at SOV this Sunday, May 18, from 4-6 pm. We'll have fun building with Legos, blocks, and cake (with frosting as mortar, of course! J), and we'll share a good, old-fashioned potluck supper.
· Mark your calendars: On Memorial Day weekend, we will hold only one worship service on Sunday, May 25. It will be at 10:30 am. Beginning June 1, we will move to our summer worship schedule: 8:30 and 10:30 am.
· Sunday, June 1st is Celebration Sunday, the day we conclude the active phase of SOV's Capital Campaign. It is also the day when we celebrate those who are graduating. Please let Wendy Roeder know if you are graduating or someone you know is graduating.
· SOV's annual congregational meeting will be held June 8th, immediately following the second service. We will be celebrating SOV's ministries and electing new officers for the coming church year. Child care and food will be provided.
...Prayers for peace and healing for members and friends of SOV who are dealing with the pain of divorce.
...Prayers for strength and guidance for all who are caring for loved ones.