Dear Friends in Christ,
Our Scripture readings during November speak of the end times. The prophets proclaim that the day of the Lord will be filled with wrath and distress. Paul says it will come like a thief in the night and urges us to be awake and sober. Jesus tells the parable of the talents, calling us to use our gifts, while we still have time, for the greater and common good. In a world filled with violence and despair, we gather around signs of hope—word, water, bread and wine—eager to welcome the good news of Christ's coming among us.
Prayer of the Day
Righteous God, our merciful master, you own the earth and all its peoples, and you give us all that we have. Inspire us to serve you with justice and wisdom, and prepare us for the joy of the day of your coming, through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen
· Thanksgiving baskets will be assembled on Saturday morning, November 22nd, beginning at 10 am. Helping hands are much appreciated!
· Church decorating for the Advent and Christmas season will take place on Monday, November 24th. Stay tuned for the time!
· Advent begins on Sunday, November 30th. That means that SOV's weekly Advent soup suppers and worship will begin on Wednesday, Dec. 3rd. Dinner will begin at 5:45 pm, and worship will follow at 6:30 pm.
In our prayers
· SOV's Call Committee—prayers for wisdom and guidance, as they prepare to receive names of pastoral candidates next week;
· SOV's next pastor (God knows who this is!)—prayers for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, as he or she discerns God's call;
· Prayers for safety and wisdom for all who serve in the military;
· Prayers for strength and guidance for all who are caring for loved ones;
· Prayers for strength and guidance for all who are unemployed.