Dear Friends in Christ,
This coming Sunday, the festival of Christ the King, marks the end the church year. Our gospel lesson is Jesus' great story of judgment (Matthew 25:31-46). In the end, the faithful are those who served Christ by ministering to those who are poor, hungry, naked, sick, or estranged. In the appointed Old Testament lesson (Ezekiel 34:11-16, 20-24), God is the shepherd who seeks the lost, weak, and injured and feeds them with justice. As we gather this Sunday, we celebrate the reign of Christ and his victory over death, yet we also await the consummation of all things yet to come. Acknowledging Christ as our merciful ruler, we go forth so that his reign may be known in our loving words and deeds.
Prayer of the Day
O God of power and might, your Son shows us the way of service, and in him we inherit the riches of your grace. Give us the wisdom to know what is right and the strength to serve the world you have made, through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen
· Church decorating for the Advent and Christmas season will take place on Monday, November 24th. Stay tuned for the time!
· Advent begins on Sunday, November 30th. That means that SOV's weekly Advent soup suppers and worship will begin on Wednesday, Dec. 3rd. Dinner will begin at 5:45 pm, and worship will follow at 6:30 pm.
In our prayers:
· SOV's Call Committee—prayers for wisdom and guidance, as they prepare to receive names of pastoral candidates next week;
· SOV's next pastor (God knows who this is!)—prayers for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, as he or she discerns God's call;
· Prayers for safety and wisdom for all who serve in the military;
· Prayers for strength and guidance for all who are caring for loved ones;
· Prayers for strength and guidance for all who are unemployed.